Church Highlight: Centerpoint
Your name: Craig Tuck Your spouse and children’s names: (Wife) Rebecca; (Children) Courtney, Jordan, Lindsay, & Rachel
Name of your church: Centerpoint Church
Location of church: Downtown Charleston, SC
Date church was planted: 09/2015
Name of partnering church(es): Centerpoint is part of a network of churches in the city called The Hub, which collaborates to equip leaders and multiply churches in Charleston.
What are the reasons you decided to plant a church in your city?
Our ultimate reason for planting a church is to glorify God by seeing more lost people reached with the gospel and more believers equipped to know God and make Him known. Our desire is to be a multi-ethnic and multi-generational expression of the gospel in this city.
What have you seen the Lord do in and through your church/church plant?
God has been working in our church to clarify our vision and our unique contribution to His kingdom work in the city and in the world. Within the first six months of our church plant we had two other churches merge with us. This has broadened our influence and leadership potential. We are seeing God use us as a catalyst for collaboration in the city. We are also seeing God open doors for ministry in the inner city through our partnership with Burke High School (which is the facility we currently use for Sunday worship). In addition to this, God is helping us invest in the next generation of leaders through campus ministry partnerships, internships through Generation LINK and coaching opportunities with other church planters in the city.
One of our core ministry components is our community groups. We are seeing God develop leaders, connect new members, build community, and provide multiple outreach opportunities through our community groups that meet all over the city. This is one of our key distinctives that is bearing much fruit.
What do you hope to see the Lord do in and through your church in the future?
We are trusting the Lord to continue to strengthen, deepen and expand the work He has already begun. Our vision is to “Know Jesus, Build Community and Engage Brokenness”. We are specifically praying that God will do this in and through:
- Clear Biblical expository preaching.
- Impacting the next generation through collegiate ministry and our internship/residency program through Generation LINK.
- Multiplying missional community groups all over the lowcountry.
- Collaborating with other churches for gospel expansion in the city.
- Coaching other church planters.
- Expanding our international mission outreach.
What advice do you have for current or future church planters?
- Plant the Gospel as the End Goal
- Make Disciples through Community
- Forge strength through shared Team Leadership
- Appoint your Vision as the Senior Leader
What else would you like to share with the readers of our blog?
- Best leaders are those who empty themselves of selfish ambition and self-will
- Activity should not lead to Identity, rather Gospel Identity leads into Gospel Mission
- Healthy, strategic churches commit to collaboration in Gospel Mission
- Gospel impact happens when churches take mission ownership thru geographic responsibility
What are your 3-4 main prayer requests?
That this year every member would grow in their knowledge of God and walk in a manner worthy of the Lord.
That we would significantly increase our impact on university students through evangelism and discipleship.
That we would leverage our people and resources to support and launch other church plants in our city.
By filling out the Contact Us form on our website, you will receive our weekly email updates.